Monday, April 06, 2009

Dream (?)

I saw it last night. Not sure if it was a dream. I was running. There were woods around, and it was dark. 

Dense woods that gave away no clue of what was coming next. There were people around me. I could see their 

faces but not make out who they were. There was a feeling I knew them and they knew me. But there was no 

cognizance. Everyone was seemingly unstoppable. All were being driven by an unknown force. I, too, was 

running at a mind numbing pace. Peering in the dark for clues of what lies ahead. I am sure so was everyone 

else.  There was just a cool, dark night ahead. A moonless sky staring down at us, challenging us to leave its 

domain and break free. I remember the hope I felt. A promise that the horizon had something we all wanted. 

It was running farter from us. Every step I knew someone around me was falling, his place taken by a new 

person. My legs hurt, throat was dry. I knew it was the case with everyone. Still no one wanted to stop. I tried 

to talk. To scream, to cry just to know if I was still human! My cries were muffled by the noise of the 

footsteps. I wanted to stop, yes I did. But an unknown force kept me going. Like it would be a sin to stop. A 

felony or blasphemy to wait while others go ahead. I heard a strange sound. From the depths of the woods, 

the sound emerged, coaxing, guiding even forcing us on. The pace quickened, like the night was a slack period 

and the real work was about to being. I wasn't sure if it was a dream. The drain of energy, the sweat and the fear all seemed so real. Maybe it was real!! All hope was lost. All knowledge of smell, taste, color, happiness, relationships was gone. All that was left were thumping feet, pounding chests and faceless people with nameless desire to reach somewhere. 
I tried to muster my courage and talk to the closest person. 

Who are you?
..... 
Why are we running?
we have to
where are we going?
ahead
to what end?
.....

suddenly, as though an unknown whip was cast on all of us, we jumped and started going faster. I felt the chill deep inside, something was rising inside me. The noise was getting sharper, clearer, louder...and like the escaping of a silent scream, I was thrown from the darkness, dizzy and confused towards the noise. 

I woke with a start at the noise. It was the morning alarm....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

The dream seems to have showcased the apprehensions that envelopes our mind in this materialistic world. We all just need a simple alarm to wake us up and help us realize the purpose of our life! Must say, very nice way of saying things subtly.

sahdeV said...

Much better put! :)

Nachiket Kulkarni said...

Wow.. this is brilliant!

Nachiket Kulkarni said...

Wow.. this is brilliant!